>_< Something to Type About (15)

on Thursday, July 27, 2017
OMG another return! It's amazing! It's retro! It's vintage! It's like so in right now! It's Something to Type about (15)!!!

Where, if you haven't been keeping up, I just chime in on some things that I run into on Reddit, because I'm too lazy to make an account over there (but also because I REALLY wanna make a username that's hilarious but am not creative enough to think of one). It all started with Stumble upon actually, but that got pretty NSFW... Anyway, let's go!

Please, hold your applause, I'm so flattered.

Trans humans banned from the military
I initially wanted to make a full blown post out of this topic, but I realized early on that I can't really say much about it because I am neither trans, nor willing to sign up for the armed forces. That being said, here are my 2 cents based on my day or so researching this topic.

I think I'm all for it. From what I've gathered, they are treating trans people like they would a pre existing condition (gender dysphoria?). And reading through some experiences from trans people - I get the feeling that all the medication for hormones you take can have an effect on your general wellness should you stop taking them or what not. Mood swings, depression, anxiety etc.

Bottom line is this: the military is a a government organization that, whether you like it or not, has full control on who it chooses to join their team. They've been known to turn down anyone who ever took a pill for ADD/ADHD, asthmatics, people who had history of bone spurs, people who tore their ACLs once and made a full and improved recovery,  people who write meaningless blogs on the internet, you name it and you can be rejected. They have one job only - to be efficient enough to win the battles and kill people. They're going to be reluctant in choosing people who need to stop for their inhaler, take medications, and waste time on "sensitivity" courses surrounding meaningless topics.

BUT WHAT ABOUT NON COMBAT POSITIONS?! Eh, same deal. Just on a lesser degree. If you're doing something important (combat or non-combat) you shouldn't have to stop what your doing to assess your personal needs.

OH BUT I KNOW THIS GUY IN THE ARMY WHO IS TRANS AND HE'S - let me stop you right there. I hate arguments like these. Anecdotal comments made to push the rhetoric. I get that there are out liars to every situation but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. They're just going to go ahead and put the ban in place because it's easier than finding every single diamond in the rough in the trans community who could kick the ever living shit out of the toughest guy in the army. I like this quote especially:

"It's better to call a duck a duck rather than waste time waiting to see if it'll quack"

The ruling was passed and just because people are complaining doesn't mean any higher up is going to backpedal and repeal his decision. Remember - this isn't about political correctness or human equality - this is about cherry picking the best individuals to form the most efficient team. Because America. This may be a harsh way to say it, but when you join the military you forfeit your right as an individual and now you're basically a uniformed pawn playing the long game of war.

(actually from what I've really seen is that it's another political maneuver to help with some kind of thing so really all of this argument is worthless) ... maybe I can make this issue a whole 'nother post in the future. Ugh. What a headache.

A brief aside on laugh tracks
Someone had mentioned that putting the *laughing with tears emoji* at the end of a meme or tectual joke is the equivalent of laugh tracks on tv shows. I like that point and find it to be very true, but not impeding. Laugh tracks are a weird thing. I see the argument a lot that if you need something that tells you to laugh when something is funny, then it probably wasn't funny in the first place.

While a good argument - I guess I have to disagree. I just think that the whole laughter is contagious thing and that even if the joke wasn't funny, the sound of people laughing along to the joke will maybe get you to laugh with it or at least enjoy the situation more, because like I said, that kind of behavior is contagious. There are clips out there of sitcoms with the laugh track removed - the jokes are still funny but I don't laugh and therefore I'm less entertained.

So I'm someone that is pretty hard to get to laugh. Not because I don't find your lame jokes funny, but I think it takes a certain something extra to get me to start wasting my energy to let out a couple of hahas and what not. So the accompanying laughing sounds resonate with me in that I'm probably triggered to know that I should laugh because other people are having fun as well and in the end I'm entertained. At the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?

Beiber Cancels Tours to Find himself
Again? Because I feel like this happened once before with him. I think it's alright. When you think about it, its equivalent to someone taking vacation from work. Like, if he's not gonna mentally or even pfysically going to be his best when he's entertaining - then what's the point? You as a consumer don't get the best show he can produce and you'll leave the conert with a sour note.

Granted, you multiply his situation by like a million (dollars) and maybe it may not matter as much to you because hurr durr money is everything, how can he be miserable?! Just let the guy take a break - how it affects his career doesn't concern you.

The Pain Scale

This is true to me. I like to think I have a pain tolerance, but having to take that feeling and translate it into some kind of number on an arbitrary scale where 10 is "the worst pain you can imagine" is kind of insane. Not a medical professional, so I don't know what the eventual number I provide to you can affect the way you treat me but I think there has to be something better than this.

So that's it for now. I feel like I've exhausted my desire to type for today so hopefully I acn do this again another time.

ta ta kids

0 comments: